Legal Services

NHMA's staff includes two attorneys who are available to answer inquiries and provide general legal assistance by e-mail and telephone to elected and appointed officials from member towns, cities, and village districts.

In addition to their day-to-day legal advisory services, our attorneys give presentations on a wide array of topics at our offices, at various locations around the state, and on line. Regular presentations include Local Officials Workshops, Budget and Finance Workshops, the Municipal Law Lecture Series on land use issues, Moderators’ Workshops, Right-to-Know Law presentations, and Local Welfare Workshops. The attorneys also present regular webinars and are available for "on demand" training for individual municipalities. Please refer to the Workshops, Webinars, and On-Demand Training sections of this page for more information.

In connection with their presentations, the NHMA attorneys write numerous handbooks and other publications, including:

  • Knowing the Territory: A Survey of Municipal Law for New Hampshire Local Officials;
  • The Basic Law of Budgeting: A Guide for Towns, Village Districts and School Districts;
  • Town Meeting and School Meeting Handbook;
  • Guidebook for New Hampshire Elected City Officials;
  • A Hard Road to Travel: New Hampshire Law of Local Highways, Streets and Trails; and
  • The Art of Welfare Administration

Our attorneys also write articles for other publications, including many articles for NHMA's bimonthly magazine, Town and City.

NHMA attorneys submit amicus curiae ("friend of the court") briefs to the New Hampshire Supreme Court on behalf of member municipalities in cases that involve issues of general municipal significance. If your municipality is involved in such a case and it reaches the Supreme Court, please let us know.

For more information, NHMA staff can be reached at 603.224.7447 or by email at