Maintains watershed and related areas within the Water Works’ Watershed Division; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Plants, waters, fertilizes, cultivates, mows and rakes grass, cuts brush and trees;
- Operates snow removal equipment plows, shovels, salting and sanding devices, etc;
- Fence installations and repairs;
- Trims fence lines and the banks of drainage ditches;
- Collects litter and debris;
- Empties park garbage cans and hauls the collected waste;
- Applies pesticides under close supervision;
- Uses hand tools such as picks, shovels and rakes;
- Operates power equipment, including chain saws, brush saws, wood chippers, weed eaters, push and riding mowers, and back hoes;
- Operates dump truck for construction and maintenance including plowing and snow removal operations;
- Inventories watershed areas and informs supervisor of any needed repairs and/or maintenance;
- Cleans and weeds flower beds, mulches around flowers and waters as appropriate;
- Cleans flowers and prunes related shrubbery as necessary;
- Cleans and paints structures and related Water Works facilities;
- Repairs windows, doors, plumbing and other fixtures;
- Performs manual tasks in the installation of water lines, irrigation systems, fencing, flag poles, benches and picnic tables;
- Monitors and maintains equipment in a safe operating condition and reports all damages to supervisor;
- Checks and maintains air, oil, fuel, spark plugs, mower blades, tires etc.;
- Cleans equipment and work area;
- Maintains watershed recreation areas, installs and removes seasonal boat docks, and installs and repairs boat launches;
- Installs and repairs stone walls and drainage culverts;
- Removes grass for replanting lawns;
- Digs ditches to specification with a backhoe and/or hand tools;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED; and
- Some experience in landscaping or related operations; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications
- Valid CDL -B License with airbrakes (or must obtain within 6-months of employment);
- Valid New Hampshire driver’s license.