General Statement of Duties:
Patrols assigned areas within the City’s parks, trails and cemeteries to ensure compliance with rules and regulations; assists with maintenance of properties; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Patrols parks, trails and cemeteries and monitors activity to identify violations of applicable park, trails, and cemetery rules and regulations, environmental and trespassing laws, and takes appropriate actions to deal with the situation, including issuing citations, issuing written warnings, or rectifying the situation through a dialogue with all parties involved as warranted;
- Works with NH DES, NH Department of Natural & Cultural Resources, representatives and other state agencies involving environmental, park, trail, and cemetery related issues;
- Enforces all local, state and federal laws, as well as park, trail and cemetery rules and regulations, and issues citations for violations;
- Performs routine maintenance on park, trail and cemetery properties and structures, including brush removal, litter collection, painting, carpentry work, welding, and minor repairs of related equipment;
- Assists park and cemetery maintenance crews with tree removal, equipment operation and other duties as needed;
- Operates power equipment, including chain saws, edgers, weed eaters, push and riding mowers, back hoes and field painters, and other hand tools as necessary;
- Operates dump truck for construction and maintenance including plowing and snow removal operations;
- Trims fence lines and the banks of drainage ditches;
- Collects litter and debris;
- Assists with the removal of illegal encampments;
- Locks and unlocks gates at parks, trails, and cemeteries, and takes appropriate actions to ensure that curfews are followed;
- Ensures compliance with dam requirements, including adjustments of gates, monitoring of water flow, clearing of vegetation, regulatory reporting, and other related responsibilities;
- Responds to calls and/or complaints from citizens, involving arriving at the scene, taking statements from all parties involved, identifying a violation if one exists, and issuing citations as the situation warrants;
- Maintains a highly visible presence within assigned areas for the purpose of deterring crime as possible, maintaining good community relations and providing an identifiable source for citizens to go to for assistance, guidance, protection and service;
- Maintains an awareness of any emergency situation in the community, including fires, natural disasters and environmental hazards, and notifies appropriate departments or agencies;
- Testifies in court as needed;
- Performs a daily activity of public relations through speaking with citizens, responding to their needs as possible and explaining through actions and words the goals and purposes of applicable environmental regulations;
- Informs park and cemetery administrative personnel immediately of any situation which appears to be out of the ordinary;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED, preferably supplemented by some additional training in security and/or enforcement of rules and regulations, or related; and
- Some security and/or enforcement related experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Twenty-one years of age;
- Pass a background check;
- Pass a drug test;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- CDL-B w/ Air Brake endorsement (within 12 months of employment); and
- First Aid and AED Training Certificate (within 6 months of employment)
- Rotating shifts schedules required, weekends and holidays.
Park Rangers will be the City’s lead employees dedicated to providing parks and trails that are safe and available for all to enjoy. They will assist patrons with questions or concerns, help with routine maintenance, ensure that organized events have obtained the appropriate permits, and coordinate with Manchester PD to deter illicit activity.