Chief Building Inspector
Position is responsible for overseeing Inspection Department activities, including review of construction plans, issuing building permits, inspecting all building construction to ensure compliance with state and local codes and ordinances, and providing representation on committees concerned with building code compliance issues.
Incumbent is responsible for direct supervision of five full time staff. Staff is located in the same office and off-site performing fieldwork. Incumbent recommends hiring, firing, and discipline to the City Manager for final approval. Incumbent is required to attend night meetings at least once a month. Incumbent has access to confidential information of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages all department functions, supervises staff, reviews building and zoning issues and applications, ensures staff training and development, conducts performance reviews, prepares the department’s operational budget, and institutes improvements to policies and procedures.
2. Inspects all building construction projects in accordance with local, state and federal codes; ensures public health, safety and welfare.
3. Reviews and makes recommendations on Building Code Board of Appeals applications.
4. Reviews all applicable zoning and construction issues with the Planning Department, Zoning Enforcement Officer, City Engineering staff, Fire Chief, and other key City personnel.
5. Provides technical assistance to applicants, contractors, engineers and surveyors, developers, lawyers, real estate agents, citizens and city boards, committees, and staff on zoning and construction issues, applications, regulations, etc.
6. Enforces codes adopted by the City including zoning ordinances, building codes, housing codes and landlord/tenant law. Represents City in legal cases involving zoning enforcement in courts of law.
7. Performs on-site inspections and field investigations to verify that proper building methods and building codes are met.
8. Responds to concerns regarding possible infractions of building codes and permit procedures, and issues “stop work orders” to perpetrators who are conducting unauthorized work.
9. Assists property owners, contractors, engineers, surveyors, developers, real estate agents, lawyers and others interested in developing property by guiding them through zoning ordinances and building codes, identifying critical issues and recognizing opportunities.
10. Participates in the planning department’s technical review committee to provide input to site development and subdivision applications; ensures applications are in compliance with zoning ordinances.
11. Promotes and maintains positive community relations.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: A candidate for this position should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Structural Engineering, Architecture, or a related field; PE or Architect’s license and at least five (5) years’ experience in code enforcement, and supervisory experience; understanding of building codes and construction techniques. Licenses or certificates required for the position includes: Inspectors Certification with nationally recognized model building code agency and a valid NH driver’s license.
For full job description and to apply, visit the following link: