legal obligations

LEGAL Q&A: Ordinance and Bylaw Adoption

When it comes to enacting bylaws or ordinances, it can be difficult to discern which entity has the authority to do such a thing. In most instances, enacting a town wide ordinance will require the vote of the town at town meeting. However, there are several areas specifically designated by statute where the governing body, or some other local official, has the authority to enact a policy, ordinance, bylaw, etc. which will have the desired effect.

Municipal Trustees Training Hybrid Workshop

Municipal trustees—cemetery trustees, library trustees, trustees of trust funds—have very important and varied duties. This introductory hybrid workshop is geared to give you the tools you need to perform your duties legally and understandably.

Program Agenda

9:00 am—9:05 am  Introduction
Stephen Buckley, Esq., Legal Services Counsel, NH Municipal Association

9:05 am—10:35 am  Administering Donor-Restricted Funds

Municipal Employment - Legal Relationships and Obligations

The information contained in this article is not intended as legal advice and may no longer be accurate due to changes in the law. Consult NHMA's legal services or your municipal attorney.

Q: When must an employee be permitted to take a break?

A: An employer may not require an employee to work more than 5 consecutive hours without granting him a 1/2 hour lunch or eating period, except if it is feasible for the employee to eat during the performance of his work, and the employer permits him to do so.