Utility Mechanic- Water/Stormwater
City of Portsmouth is hiring for 2 positions: Utility Mechanic- Water and Utility Mechanic-Stormwater.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to, or extension of, the position.
- Performs maintenance and repair work on municipal buildings such as repairing roofs, steps, fences, doors; maintaining and repairing plumbing and heating systems; painting interior and exterior surfaces. Reads instructions, plans and specifications.
- Performs all types of maintenance and repair work for which the individual is trained.
- Maintains and repairs damaged or inoperative water meters, hydrants and valves. Flushes and cleans water or sewer mains or piping, swimming pool filter systems, chlorination devices and pumps. Appropriately adjusts regulating equipment.
- Repairs and maintains a variety of tractors, lawn mowers, rototillers and other small motor or engine driven May perform minor automotive mechanic work on small and large trucks and other vehicles. Welds, fabricates and performs body work incidental to these functions.
- Repairs and maintains outdoor and enclosed facilities such as playing fields, playgrounds, ice rinks and picnic Cuts and grooms grassed areas. Spreads, rolls and seeds loam. Shapes and maintains sports or play areas. Floods ice rinks and controls snow and ice. Operates heavy equipment as required.
- Lays cement sidewalks, floors, brickwork, manholes, catch basins and stone work. Plasters and lays Maintains traffic control devices such as pavement striping, signs and replacing light bulbs in signals. Performs street and parking garage repairs.
- Perform video inspection of sanitary sewer and storm drain lines and maintain data from the inspections.
- Is subject to call out to respond to emergencies after normal working hours.
- Prepares, maintains and reports work according to approved formats and procedures.
- Operates and checks city vehicles correct for fluid levels, pressures and general operating Cleans and washes any assigned vehicles weekly. Reports maintenance issues.
Performs such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Full job description: UM-Water, Sewer, Stormwater.pdf