Utility Field Technician
The Merrimack Village District is seeking a qualified, motivated individual to join our team, to perform skilled tasks and the operation of equipment for maintenance and repair of District owned property and infrastructure.
A candidate for this position must have graduated High School or the equivalent, have three (3) to five (5) years of experience in utility and/ or other similar work, a valid Commercial Driver’s License Class A preferred or the ability to obtain within 120 days of hire; Water Distribution Grade I Certification from New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services or ability to obtain within 120 days of hire. The candidate should have significant knowledge of proper care and use of equipment utilized in the construction trades; of hazards, and of applicable safety rules and regulations for personnel safety and equipment operations; of street, ground, repair, construction and rehabilitation methods; of methods to combat snow and ice; of materials, supplies and equipment used in utility maintenance, unidirectional flushing of water mains; back flow prevention programs and ability to work and identify proper valving of water mains and maintenance of the valves; repair and construction projects; of proper excavation methods and work zone safety practices; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, contractors and the public; the ability to understand rules and regulations.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Operates light duty trucks single axle with or without attachments such as plows, trailers for removing and/or hauling of debris, tools and other equipment, snow and ice, etc. from district property and transporting materials.
- Performs construction, maintenance and repair of water mains and lines, wastewater lines, drainage facilities, highways and appurtenances.
- Performs flushing procedures, back flow prevention device inspection/testing and should have basic knowledge of valve operations.
- Operates small roller, mowers, pipe cutters, subsurface boring equipment as well as related equipment.
- Operates front-end loader (non-track) for the loading of materials into trucks. Operations are limited to off-road areas such as material storage areas. May operate on road only while in transit from the storage area to assigned material storage areas within district or town limits.
- May be detailed to operate equipment and performs tasks of lower or higher classifications.
- Coordinate work activity with other departments, groups, teams, agencies, and the public. Will be responsible for initiating and running seasonal programs.
- Performs walk around inspection on assigned equipment and preventive maintenance tasks such as greasing, fluid top offs, etc. necessary for the proper operations of equipment.
- May lead work in any planned service interruptions or shut down and repair of systems during emergencies.
- Should have the ability to coordinate and inspect work activities as directed by the supervisor to ensure schedules are met and work is performed in a safe and efficient manner and in accordance with standard operating procedure and policies.
- Respond to emergency situations using necessary supplies and equipment and operate equipment as may be required.
- Promote and maintain responsive community relations.
- Practice proper safety practices and procedures for outside and in house activities while maintaining safe use of equipment to protect personnel and district and public property.
- May be called on to perform appropriate work in the treatment division from time to time or on a regularly scheduled basis.
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
SALARY: $14.70 to $25.12 DOE
BENEFITS: Excellent Full Benefit Package – Health/Dental Insurance, STD/LTD, Life Insurance, NH Retirement System and 457 Plan.
EDUCATION: High School or Equivalent
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 Years in Water Distribution Field, GIS, Elements Asset Management software and SCADA preferred.
LICENSES: NH Water Works Distribution License Grade I - Required Valid Driver’s License
OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess basic computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Outlook & Word.
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Required to serve in On-Call rotation with District Distribution & Treatment staff.
- Required availability after hours, weekends & holidays for On-Call rotation and as needed.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. and move more than 100 lbs.
- Required to wear proper safety and protective equipment.
To apply, please submit cover letter & resume to:
Mail / In Person Merrimack Village District
Attn: Human Resources
2 Greens Pond Road
Merrimack, NH 03054
Fax 603-424-0563 - Attn: Human Resources
***Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.***
For a full job description, please visit www.mvdwater.org.