Truck Driver (Union)
The Truck Driver operates all types and tonnages of trucks, and may operate tractors, rollers, and mowers, as well as perform a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations. Truck drivers work under the immediate supervision of the Highway Superintendent, and/or other appropriate supervisory employees, and may be directed to supervise the work of other employees.
The Truck Driver works in a moderately noisy setting and in a variety of environments. Physical requirements include the ability to shovel, lift, bend, walk, sit or stand for long periods of time and carry objects weighing one hundred (100) pounds or more, as well as have the ability to work with a variety of cleaning, snow removal, lawn care and construction/maintenance related equipment.
- Operates heavy trucks in the transportation of sand, gravel, stone, and supplies.
- Operates light trucks to carry tools, equipment, and supplies to and from jobs.
- Performs road sanding and plowing in the winter months.
- Operates tractor and mower to cut large areas of grass.
- Occasionally services and performs minor repairs on equipment and vehicles.
- Assists in loading and unloading materials and equipment transported by truck.
- Performs the duties of laborer as assigned, when not engaged as a driver, which may include lifting and carrying objects weighing one hundred (100) pounds or more.
- Performs such other related duties as may be required from time to time.
Applicants should have a High School Diploma or equivalent, with two (2) or more years of experience in the capacity of truck driving; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Applicants should be comfortable working in a moderately noisy setting and in a variety of environments. Applicants must hold and maintain a valid New Hampshire commercial driver’s license (CDL) Class B. Mandatory criminal background check and drug testing.
(This job specification should not be construed to imply that these duties are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any other related duties, as needed.)
The required application may be obtained online at https://www.bedfordnh.org/230/Employment-Opportunities or in person at the Town Office. Completed applications and cover letters may be submitted to
Bedford Town Offices
Human Resources Department
24 North Amherst Road
Bedford, NH 03110