General Statement of Duties
Collects refuse within City routes; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Collects solid waste or recyclables on an assigned route;
- Learns established City solid waste routes and usual collection points for residences and businesses;
- Determines acceptability of solid waste or recyclables in accordance with Department standards and City ordinances;
- Rakes, shovels and performs proper lifting techniques to move and collect solid waste and recyclable materials and replace containers;
- Informs supervisors of problems associated with collection route and materials placed for disposal and maintains records of residences which have not placed solid waste for disposal;
- Makes return visits to residences which have missed disposal to collect solid waste;
- Provides input to supervisors concerning condition of vehicles, equipment, demisters and private solid waste containers or features prohibiting effective operations;
- Maintains and cleans receptacles when practicable;
- Performs pre and post-route preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment including checking fuel, oil, transmission and hydraulic fluids, water and air;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED; and
- Some experience working in a team environment where strenuous physical work is shared equally among team members; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications