General Statement of Duties
Performs maintenance work on large scale municipal projects; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Performs sewer construction, maintenance and repair functions, including breaking out concrete, building forms for new inlets, cleaning sewers using hand devices, slushing sewers with high pressure hoses, digging ditches and trenches, laying pipe and new sanitary and storm sewer lines, filling in holes and caulking and constructing concrete forms for concrete manholes and spillways;
- Performs street construction, maintenance and repair functions, including raking asphalt to provide an even thickness, tamping and finishing, paving holes with asphalt, runs rollers, spreads and tamps gravel, digs and resets manhole covers and related equipment;
- Operates air hammer, mudjacks and related equipment to drill and bore holes through asphalt gravel, ledge, cement, frost and related;
- Performs water systems construction, maintenance and repair functions, including laying water mains, digging trenches, installing water valves, installing water main taps and service taps, cutting pipe, cleaning and lining old mains and installing and repairing fire hydrants, (including snow removal on fire hydrants);
- Sets curbs, grading, backfilling with cement, filling joints and related;
- Re-routes traffic patterns to ensure safety of City personnel, outside contractors and related with a minimal impact to traffic routes;
- Loads and unloads trucks, drives trucks and other related motorized equipment as necessary;
- Cuts brush and clears right-of-ways;
- Plows, sands and salts streets;
- Removes snow from sidewalks and common areas;
- Performs physical duties associated with natural disasters and other emergencies;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED; and
- Considerable experience in water, streets and/or sewer construction; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications
- On-call status;
- Class B CDL (Must obtain within 6 months of date of hire Water Works only).