The purpose of this position is to monitor activities at the Portsmouth Indoor Pool to prevent accidents and provide assistance to patrons.
Schedule is 40 hours a week, Monday - Friday with a mix of morning, afternoon, and evenings. Incumbent will be expected to work weekends when needed.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to, or extension of, the position.
- Monitors activities of patrons at the Portsmouth Indoor Pool.
- Rescues patrons in distress and performs life-saving duties, including CPR, rescue breathing, and swimmer rescue techniques.
- Maintains order at the facility, including enforcing rules, resolving minor conflicts, and furnishing information to the public.
- Performs first aid to injured patrons.
- Completes all required reports and paperwork.
- Performs moderate manual labor as needed.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to other employees in the same or similar class of position.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- Attends meetings and in-service training sessions to become or remain current on the principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
- Perform related work as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS -
High school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in aquatics. Applicants for this position should have some experience in aquatic facility activities or an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform work.
Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification is required for this position along with CPR and First Aid. Certification as Lifeguard Instructor, Water Safety Instructor, Pool Operator and/or Swimming Instructor/trainer is desired but not required.
Full job description: Lifeguard- Full Time.pdf