Equipment Operator--Transfer Station
Year round position with excellent benefits including in the NH Retirement System.
The Equipment Operator operates primarily at the Transfer Station and may use heavy equipment in the construction, repair and maintenance of Town roads and facilities, and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations. The Equipment Operator works under the immediate supervision of the Transfer Station Assistant Foreman or other appropriate on-site supervisory employee. The Equipment Operator may be requested to exercise supervision over other departmental employees at times.
The Equipment Operator works in a moderately noisy setting and in a variety of environments. Physical requirements include the ability to shovel, lift, bend, walk, sit or stand for long periods of time and carry objects weighing one hundred (100) pounds or more, as well as have the ability to work with a variety of tractor trailers, cleaning, snow removal, lawn care and construction/maintenance related equipment. Typically, 40 hours Tuesday – Saturday with some mandatory OT.
· Assists with the daily operations and functions of the Recycling and Solid Waste Transfer Facility.
· Operates all heavy equipment related to solid waste compaction and load moving.
· Operates a backhoe/front-end loader to lift and place heavy equipment or items, and to load trucks.
· Operates other equipment, drives trucks, or performs manual tasks as assigned.
· Maintains site security by ensuring that the public remains in designated areas and monitors the facility to prevent salvaging.
· Occasionally services and performs minor repairs / maintenance on equipment as needed.
· Operates snow removal and winter operations equipment as necessary.
· Maintains site area in a clean and orderly manner by performing such duties as raking debris from banks, picking up litter, managing green waste disposal, and other aligned activities.
· May act as lead person in absence of supervision.
· Requires the projection of a positive attitude and image about the Town of Bedford, a pleasant demeanor and commitment to service to the public.
· Must ensure the safe operation of equipment and safety measures in the assigned work area and may make recommendations to achieve the same.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or GED
· 2 or more years of experience in construction equipment operation / commercial truck driving
· Current NH CDL – B license, (Class A is preferred)
· NH Weigh Master License – obtain within (1) one year of employment
· NH Solid Waste Operator’s License – obtain within (1) one year of employment
The required application may be obtained online at https://www.bedfordnh.org/230/Employment_Opportunities. Completed applications and cover letters may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to:
Human Resources Department
Town of Bedford
24 North Amherst Road
Bedford, NH 03110
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED