The Equipment Operator operates primarily at the Transfer Station and may use heavy equipment in the construction, repair and maintenance of Town roads and facilities, and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations. The Equipment Operator works under the immediate supervision of the Highway Superintendent or other appropriate on-site supervisory employee. The Equipment Operator may be requested to exercise supervision over other departmental employees at times.
The Equipment Operator works in a moderately noisy setting and in a variety of environments. Physical requirements include the ability to shovel, lift, bend, walk, sit or stand for long periods of time and carry objects weighing one hundred (100) pounds or more, as well as have the ability to work with a variety of tractor trailers, cleaning, snow removal, lawn care and construction/maintenance related equipment. Typically 40 hours Tuesday – Saturday with some mandatory OT.
- Operates a motor grader in shaping and maintaining road surfaces.
- Operates a backhoe in the maintenance and construction of roads and sewer lines, digs trenches and holes.
- Operates a backhoe/front-end loader to lift and place heavy equipment or items, and to load trucks.
- Operates other equipment, drives trucks, or performs manual tasks as assigned.
- Uses applicable attachments such as a scarifier, blade, posthole digger, rake and grading blade.
- Occasionally services and performs minor repairs on equipment and vehicles.
- Performs road sanding and plowing in the winter months.
- Acts as lead for crews on job sites.
- Performs such other related duties as may be required from time to time.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Applicants should have a High School Diploma or equivalent, with two (2) or more years of experience in construction equipment operation and truck driving; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Applicants must hold and maintain a valid New Hampshire commercial driver’s license (CDL) Class B.
(This job specification should not be construed to imply that these duties are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any other related duties, as needed.)
The required application may be obtained online at https://www.bedfordnh.org/230/Employment-Opportunities.
Completed applications and cover letters may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to:
Human Resources Department
Town of Bedford
24 North Amherst Road
Bedford, NH 03110