Data Collection/Planning Intern (Part-time)
Do you like the idea of working outside in a different location every day across the Greater Manchester area? The Southern NH Planning Commission seeks a Data Collection/Planning Intern to support transportation planning activities. This position provides an opportunity to work with a collaborative team focused on using technology and data to inform regional and statewide planning programs. The successful candidate will assist with data collection, report writing, and cartographic services.
· Collecting transportation and traffic-related data in the field to support the SNHPC’s transportation data collection program.
· Conducting inventories of road, sidewalk, and culvert infrastructure and condition.
· Maintaining data collection records in both digital and hardcopy formats.
· Conducting equipment inventories and maintenance.
· Assisting staff with updating transportation planning documents.
· Assisting the Senior GIS Analyst with maintaining transportation GIS database.
· Assisting in the preparation of transportation planning reports, protocols, and other documentation.
Applicants must, at a minimum, be enrolled in or have previously completed a bachelor’s degree program studying planning, geography, environmental science, or other related fields.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Adaptability to regularly working in a variety of urban, suburban and rural traffic conditions.
- Team orientation and personal accountability.
While not required, the following skill sets are a plus:
- Experience with field data collection practices, especially collection of transportation data such as traffic counts and culvert assessments.
- Experience using ESRI GIS software in a Windows environment.
- Experience with Arc Collector or other tablet-based field data collection programs.
- Experience with GPS technology.
- Experience with Microsoft Access.
- Working knowledge of planning and local government processes.
Special requirements for this position include:
- A valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable transportation is required; this position will include significant travel for fieldwork utilizing a company vehicle.
- This position involves working outside, often starting at 6:00am, in variable weather conditions, and requiring the ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
Please reply with a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Submit materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Collection/Planning Intern.”
Position is open until filled.
The rate of pay is $15 per hour for 20 hours per week from approximately mid-April through mid-November. Exact start and end dates will be set to correspond with the selected candidate’s availability.
Commission employees are hardworking, motivated individuals dedicated to providing the highest quality of public service in a friendly, professional environment. The right individual will have a positive attitude about working for the Commission and representing the SNHPC region. For more information about the Commission, visit www.snhpc.org.
Southern NH Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, and nation of origin. The Commission encourages minorities, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged applicants to apply.