Gardiner Maine, with a year-round population of 5,900, is seeking an experienced, professional leader for its next City Manager. Gardiner, a welcoming New England community with a rich history, sits on the banks of the beautiful Kennebec River in the heart of Maine. It is located 20 minutes from Maine’s capital, Augusta, and less than an hour from Maine’s famous sea coast, mountains, and largest city, Portland.
Gardiner operates under a Charter with a Mayor/City Council/City Manager form of government. Four (4) members of the Council are elected from districts and the Mayor and three (3) Council members are at elected at large. All terms are for 2 years. It has 62 full time employees and 6 part time employees with an annual budget of $6.7 million, which includes Police, Fire and Library. The City also has an Ambulance Enterprise budget of $1.5 million and a Wastewater Enterprise budget of $1.7 million. Gardiner is the largest member of RSU/MSAD 11 School District which includes 3 other towns.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward- thinking, fair-minded and transparent, thinks outside the box;
- An effective and experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity who has proven strong organizational and professional skills;
- An individual who has strong finance, capital, human resources, employee relations, planning as well as community and economic development skills, including a proven ability to accurately prepare and project sustainable municipal budgets;
- Skills to listen, engage, understand, and sustain relationships with all stakeholders in public-private partnerships;
- A candidate with unquestionable ethics and integrity and committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association (ICMA) and Maine Town and City Management Association(MTCMA);
- Strong written, verbal, and public presentation skills including the ability to promote the City in a variety of communications;
- Willingness to engage and become part of the fabric of the community; and
- Residency in Gardiner is desired but not mandatory.
The Council prefers candidates with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated municipal management experience or similar related private business experience.
Applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration or a closely related field with a Master’s degree preferred. Salary range is $90,000 to $110,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications. Relocation expense reimbursement is available.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements and five (5) references electronically by February 8, 2022 to:
Gardiner Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
77 Sewall Street, Suite 3000
Augusta, Maine 04330
The City of Gardiner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.