Chief of Police
The Town of Sunapee, home to the 6th largest lake in New Hampshire, with a year-round population of approximately 3,400 and a summer population of 7,500–10,000 residents, is seeking an innovative, communicative, experienced professional to serve as its next Chief of Police. Governed by a five-member Board of Selectmen and a SB2 form of Town Meeting, Sunapee is full-service community with 36 full-time and 122 part-time, seasonal, and elected employees.
Guided by the mission and core values of “Success Through Teamwork,” and in partnership with the Town Manager, the Police Chief provides the leadership and management of the Town of Sunapee Police Department. The adopted 2022 budget for the Police Department is $977,000. The department has an authorized complement of five full-time and five part-time equivalents, including one detective sergeant, one lieutenant (operations), and one executive assistant. The position reports to the Town Manager. The Sunapee Police Department is part of a Regional Dispatch Center out of New London N.H.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record of professionalism, integrity, transparency, cross cultural competency, and community engagement. The selected candidate will strive to reach the highest ideals of public service and personal conduct while demonstrating an ability to embrace change and improvement. This individual must be able to manage emergency situations and create a culture of transparency, accountability, and respect within the Department and the community by being fair, equitable, and a good listener to diverse community voices.
The Chief will plan and direct the internal and external activities of the Police Department in the enforcement of laws, regulations, and Town By-laws. The Chief will establish realistic strategic planning goals, provide motivational leadership and direction to department staff. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated history of collaborative, empathetic, and innovative strategic planning, and problem-solving skills in public safety and community policing. They will also be committed to and experienced with using current technology to obtain and analyze crime and other data for deployment and decision-making.
As a town leader, the Police Chief will embody the core value of community policing. The Chief will engage in public events and outreach initiatives and respond to all inquiries, complaints, and grievances in a timely and professional manner. The Chief will be responsible for establishing and maintaining effective and productive working relationships with appointed and elected officials, town departments, federal, state and local agencies, community stakeholders, businesses and citizens.
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement Public Administration or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
• Experience: Ten (10) years of law enforcement experience, with at least three (3) years in supervisory, command and administrative positions. Any equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
• Possession of or ability to obtain a valid New Hampshire driver's license.
• Applicants must be able to satisfy all the requirements of the New Hampshire Police Standards & Training Council.
• The selected candidate must reside in the town of Sunapee (provided that the Chief shall be allowed eighteen (18) Months in which to meet this requirement).
• A conditional letter of employment shall be subject to a thorough background investigation as well as a physical fitness test, medical physical and psychological examination.
SALARY: Salary range from $85,000 to $100,000; Starting salary commensurate with qualifications.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and résumé, as a single PDF file, to the Sunapee Town Manager, Shannon Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes should be received by 5:00 P.M. on Friday, June 10, 2022.
Sunapee is an Equal Opportunity Employer