The Benefits Administrator position collaborates with and supports the Human Resources Director in planning, organizing, directing, and implementing a comprehensive citywide human resources program. Position performs managerial work in a variety of human resources disciplines, with a specific focus on benefits and compensation program oversight. Collaborates with the Director to design and implement human resources programs in support of the City’s vision, goals, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Handle the day to day activities for a 1,200+ employee municipality in regards to benefits and compensation.
2. Conduct orientations for all new hires, reviewing the benefit plans and enrolling employees in the appropriate plans, ensuring the paperwork is complete and filed timely.
3. Act as Wellness Coordinator for City and School Department; update employees on the wellness programs, coordinate flu clinics, and biometric screenings.
4. Work closely with insurance companies and employees on all upcoming negotiated changes in sixteen different bargaining agreements.
5. Ensure compliance with the Affordable Care Act, tracking, updating system and filing at year end.
6. Prepare and track all FMLA requests.
7. Process life and long term disability claims. Acting as the contact between employee and insurance carriers, making sure paperwork is completed and filed timely. Follow up with Departments on statuses of employees and their return to work.
8. Manage the open enrollment process, notifying employees, scheduling meetings and processing paperwork.
9. Administer flexible spending accounts and yearly enrollment.
10. Maintain workers’ compensation, records/claims including, return-to-work programs and efforts. Prepare necessary reports and advise City departments of claim status as needed.
11. Responsible for maintaining and the preparation of the annual budget relative to salaries and benefits in conjunction with the Human Resources Director.
12. Manage the functions required for Property and Liability Insurance for the City. This would include but not limited to: verifying and maintaining the insurance assets and filing and reconciling claims.
Knowledge, Skills, Capabilities:
A candidate for this position should have a thorough knowledge of all state and federal employment laws, principles and practices of public administration; the ability to work independently, ability to deal with stressful situations; ability to meet different situations with a practical and logical approach; the ability to communicate verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, labor unions and the general public; and have strong, analytical, and computer skills.
The position requires a high degree of independence, exercising considerable judgment and tact in answering inquiries and determining correct courses of action and matters warranting department head's attention. The work requires examining, analyzing, and evaluating facts and circumstances surrounding each situation, and determining compliance with applicable city, state and federal laws. Work is performed pursuant to policies, practices, and precedents, which may be complex or conflicting, at times. Incumbent uses judgment to analyze specific situations and determine appropriate actions. Incumbent is expected to understand, interpret, and ensure compliance with complex federal, state, and local regulations. Errors can result in delay or loss of service, monetary loss, and legal repercussions.
The position requires frequent contact with the public, responding to inquiries in writing, orally and in person. On a daily basis, this position involves constant contact with co-workers, and every department of the municipal government as well as outside organizations. The purpose for contact is to give or receive information, provide training and education, assign duties, or explain policies and procedures.
Education and Experience: A candidate for this position should have a Bachelor’s Degree; and three (3) to five (5) years of Human Resources experience, preferably in public sector and working in a union environment. PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
For Full Job Description and to Apply: https://nh-portsmouth.civicplushrms.com/CareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=61930&SourceId=6216 Benefits Administrator.pdf
Disclaimer: The essential functions and duties described herein are normal for this position. They are intended as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to, or extension, of the position. Other duties may be required and assigned by the supervisor.
Application Special Instructions: Finalist must complete pre-employment screening, drug testing, & background check