JOB DESCRIPTION: The Attendant Laborer reports directly to the Superintendent, or, in his/her absence, the Asst. Superintendent. He/she performs skilled work in the operation and maintenance of the buildings, grounds and equipment at the solid waste disposal facility and at the Town’s public buildings and parks.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Attendant/Laborer reports directly to the Superintendent, or, in his/her absence, the Asst. Superintendent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities assigned to this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Operates the department’s equipment as directed
2. Performs manual labor and medium lifting
3. Performs any tasks of the department as directed
4. Available for call out to meet emergency situations
5. Maintains effective relations with the public and co-workers
6. Follows all town safety rules and regulations
- Front-end loader
- Dump truck
- Other heavy equipment as needed
- Riding lawn mowers
- Other parks Dept. equipment
- Two-way radio
- Skid Steer
- Trash Compactor
- Wood working power tools
- Chain saws
- Light motor vehicles
- Hand and power tools
- And other equipment as assigned
ENVIRONMENT: Transfer Station, Outdoors in all weather conditions.
PHYSICAL EXERTION AND OTHER CONDITIONS: Physical effort is required in walking, standing, and repetitious bending, stooping and lifting; work is performed under varied conditions involving some disagreeable factors such as climatic conditions, dirt, dust and offensive smells.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Preference given to principal operator New Hampshire Solid Waste Operators License. If you do not currently hold this certification the ability to obtain a New Hampshire Solid Waste Operators License. Preference given to CDL license holders.
OTHER TRAINING, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma. Maintains physical fitness to perform the work associated with this position.
The Town of Henniker Transfer Station/building and grounds is seeking a Part-Time Attendant/Laborer to work approximately 24 hours per week, with mandatory Saturdays. The Part-Time Attendant/Laborer performs a variety of manual as well as machine operated tasks in connection with operation of Transfer Station and the operation and maintenance of buildings and grounds. The Part-Time Attendant/Laborer shall be knowledgeable in the general operation of a transfer station including disposal of municipal solid waste, recyclables and composting. The Part-Time Attendant/Laborer works under the immediate supervision of the Transfer Station Superintendent.
- Assists with operation of transfer station.
- Opens and closes transfer station during specified work hours / 24 hours per week mandatory Saturdays. You may also be working with the building and grounds crew. Duties include mowing, raking, trash collection.
- Answers inquiries of customers in person and by telephone with pertinent information regarding transfer station use and fees.
- Visually determines load size and type and collects money based on fee schedule.
- Observes waste to identify hazardous waste or other material excluded from deposit.
- Directs vehicles to appropriate disposal areas based on type of load.
- Monitors customer activities to assure compliance with established rules and regulations.
- Arranges bins for recyclables and prepares recyclables for shipment.
- Maintains site security by ensuring that the public remains in designated areas and monitors landfill to prevent salvaging.
- Maintains site area in clean and orderly manner by performing such duties as raking debris from bank of landfill pit and basic landscaping tasks, etc.
- CDL-B license (roll-off experience a plus, CDL-B wage increase adjustment)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Applicants should have a High School Diploma or equivalent and a current valid New Hampshire driver’s license. The successful candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, and the ability to perform physical tasks and lifting in all weather conditions.
(This job specification should not be construed to imply that these duties are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any other related duties, as needed.)
The required application may be obtained online at www.henniker.org or in person at the Town Office. Completed applications and cover letters may be submitted to:
Henniker Town Office – Personnel
18 Depot Hill Road
Henniker, NH 03242
Or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12/20/19 (or until filled)