Assistant Foreman - Highway
The purpose of this position is to assist in overseeing the maintenance and repair of the City’s roads, sidewalks, drainage, and snow removal; supervising work crews and equipment as deemed necessary. This work includes applying best management practices for road and sidewalk construction, repairs, and ongoing maintenance. Supervises the use of personnel, materials, and equipment and assists the foreman in supervising operations.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to, or extension of, the position.
- Assists in overseeing the work crews that perform routine street and sidewalk maintenance and other Highway related tasks.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of up to five (5) staff members and may supervise staff from other Public Works work crews or divisions if needed. Employees may work different shifts and at different locations than the supervisor.
- Assigns jobs or project responsibilities and activities.
- Identifies and maintains and adequate inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment required to successfully complete projects. Ensures the efficient use of same.
- Is knowledgeable of the required equipment, power, and hand tools used in road and sidewalk maintenance.
- Coordinates operating unit activities and reconciles concerns with other work groups and contractors.
- Works according to approved employee, equipment, and job safety procedures.
- Assists in the activities of organizing, training, and supervising the maintenance of public roadways and sidewalks, mill and fill work, crack sealing, snow removal, and other emergency responses as needed.
- Operates a small paver, skid steer, front end loader, and other equipment necessary for the effective and efficient repair and maintenance of the Highway Division’s assets.
- Promotes the safe and efficient operation of the City’s roads and equipment; provides guidance or interpretation as needed; reviews work orders and submits report of work completed each day to supervisor.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS -
Applicants for this position must have graduated from high school or have a graduate equivalent diploma (GED), a working knowledge of computers, and five (5) years of related work and leadership experience. A candidate must have a valid CDL B driver’s license.
Full job description: Assistant Foreman- Highway.pdf