General Statement of Duties
Performs a variety of general office clerical and administrative support duties for a Division Head within a municipal Department; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Performs confidential secretarial duties for a Division Head, including assuming direction or oversight over other Division personnel in distributing directives and monitoring programmatic activities;
- Prepares correspondences, reports, lists and other documents as instructed and requested by designated office personnel;
- Interprets and applies Departmental or office rules, policies and regulations in accordance with prescribed procedures and guidelines;
- Transcribes or prepares letters, minutes, reports, statements, grant applications, specifications, contracts, memoranda, notices, resolutions, budgets, financial and statistical tables, requisitions and other related materials, including confidential correspondences and reports;
- Prepares special reports as requested;
- Copies, packages and distributes a variety of written materials as requested by other designated office personnel;
- Answers Department telephone calls, receives and greets visitors to the Department and provides information to or refers callers and visitors to other appropriate Departments or City personnel;
- Gathers, assembles, updates, distributes and/or files a variety of information, forms, records and data as requested using traditional filing systems or databases as necessary;
- Processes accounts payable, accounts receivable and/or payroll as necessary;
- Screens visitors, telephone calls, faxes, mail and messages directed to office personnel;
- Listens to and directs comments and complaints from the public relating to Department operations and takes appropriate action to resolve and refer such complaints;
- Requisitions supplies and materials for the department as requested;
- Opens and distributes mail throughout the Department;
- Oversees petty cash accounts;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED, preferably supplemented by additional training in office management; and
- Considerable experience in general office operations; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications