22-028 Deputy Information Technology Director
To apply: https://apply.workable.com/j/EE20A82A52
The City of Dover is seeking an individual to perform highly responsible work administering and maintaining the operation of the City's information systems. This includes the responsive and accurate administration of municipal core systems (including network devices, servers and applications) as well as identity/account management. To assist Director of Information Technology in managing and completing assigned information technology projects.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. Salary: $78,416 to $113,796.80. Position is open until filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered essential to this position. The listed examples may not include all duties found in this class):
- Research, design, implement, and manage an integrated City-wide information systems infrastructure to include hardware, software and network equipment supporting all municipal department operations. Work as the technical lead, or in conjunction with the Director of Information Technology and vendors, in the implementation, ongoing maintenance and upgrade of information systems within all municipal departments.
- Monitor and proactively maintain existing municipal information systems and services, with a focus on network devices (i.e. firewall, router, and switch), servers and server-based applications.
- Directly operate, manage, verify integrity and secure the City’s backup data per the City’s data storage rotation and retention policy. Ensure staff redundancy in this work.
- Tracking, management and evaluation of reactive service calls from customers throughout the City and affiliate organizations.
- Oversight of policy implementation and audits related to user account / identity maintenance and associated access to municipal information technology systems and services.
- Oversight and management of up-to-date and accurate inventory of City information systems and telecommunications equipment, i.e. network devices, servers, client, mobile devices, telecommunication lines, UPS systems, laser printers and other equipment as indicated.
- Available after-hours (outside Monday - Friday 8am – 4pm and holidays) during critical system outages or for pre-scheduled information systems maintenance as needed.
- Supervise and assist assigned personnel in their work to maintain existing and support new information systems and services. Perform or assist subordinates in performing duties to include continuous improvement based on current industry knowledge, resources and customer feedback.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships, to include communications and coordination of activities with office employees, other departments and agencies, vendors and the general public.
- Maintain familiarity with and executes safe work procedures, to include best practices related to cybersecurity, associated with assigned work.
- Understanding and support of the Office of Information Technology budget, budget development, creation of Requests for Proposal to support information technology system and service needs. Ability to prepare information, answer questions and speak with City Council related to budget and purchasing matters.
- Advise the Director of Information Technology regarding questions of procedures and information related to the City's information and telecommunication systems.
- Exercise discretion and maintain appropriate confidentiality concerning municipal related matters.
- Serve as Director of Information Technology in his/her absence as assigned.
- Evaluate trends in information and telecommunication technology, hardware, software and networking and make recommendations to Director of Information Technology regarding appropriate hardware, software and system needs.
- Attend conferences and other education meetings and reviews professional literature to keep current on modern trends and practices.
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS: Well-developed skills to troubleshoot, prioritize, escalate and find technical solutions quickly and effectively, often using online and vendor resources; Extensive knowledge of networking equipment, and computer hardware and software, including firewalls (incl routing and translation), switches (incl vlans), operating systems (incl DNS), applications and programming. Extensive knowledge of techniques in information technology system analysis and design; Extensive knowledge of the capabilities and requirements of information technology equipment; Knowledge of the principles and techniques of systems documentation; Knowledge of the principles of computer programming; Knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, document and supervise the work of others; ability to make accurate arithmetic calculations; demonstrated oral and written communication; ability to maintain electronic and written records and prepare reports. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with department heads, employees, City Council and the public and to deal with service problems courteously and tactfully. Ability to prepare and deliver oral and written reports in public meetings.
EDUCATION/LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from a college/university with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a closely-related field, plus at least four years progressively responsible experience in information systems management, support, or related information systems work; OR any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must maintain valid motor vehicle operator’s license. Microsoft (incl HyperV, Windows Server, Exchange Server and Azure), Cisco (incl CCNA, CCSP, Meraki), Symantec/Broadcom, Dell and other Information System specific certifications preferred. Experience with cloud technologies, system hardening and vulnerability detection and remediation systems preferred.