Youth Services Librarian/Assistant Director
Town of Bristol
Minot-Sleeper Library - Youth Services Librarian/Assistant Director - Full-Time
Located in the beautiful Lakes Region with proximity to a wide range of outdoor recreation opportunities, the Minot-Sleeper Library seeks its next Youth Services Librarian/Assistant Director. This individual is personable, community-oriented, and can work with all ages.
Essential job functions:
- Oversees, promotes, implements, and evaluates programs for youth (0-18) throughout the year, including the Summer Reading Program, and assists with adult programming that addresses community needs and supports the library’s mission, vision, and strategic plan
- Provides all library users with assistance in finding, selecting, and using library materials, as well as the use of public computers and other technology
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere throughout the library, especially in the Children’s and Young Adult areas through personal presence and attractive displays
- Provides service and maintains partnerships with schools, community organizations, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs
- Contributes to the selection and processing of Children’s and Young Adult materials through professional collection development and cataloging procedures
- Updates the library’s social media accounts, website, and creates monthly library email newsletter to promote library services and programs
- Assists Director with administrative activities
- Supervises and directs staff in times of Library Director’s absence
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work with people of all ages and maintain their confidence and respect
- Ability to develop and implement programs for children and young adults
- Knowledge and appreciation of youth literature and other materials, and the ability to gauge reader, listener, and viewer interests
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and their application to patron services
- Ability to speak and write effectively
- Utilize current communication tools, including social media and other software creating compelling promotion of library services and programs
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently
- Ability to work congenially with and supervise staff during times of the Director’s absence
The candidate will hold a Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school or have an equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. They will have experience working with youth and have knowledge of Children’s and Young Adult literature and materials, including current trends in library service to youth. Some supervisory experience is preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
This 40-hour-per-week position (non-exempt) begins at a rate of pay of $16.95-$17.60. Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package through the Town of Bristol.
To apply, resumes along with a cover letter should be submitted no later than June 28 to Library Director Brittany Overton via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: Wage range is $16.95 to $17.60/hour
Closing Date: June 28, 2019