1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Friday, June 14, 2019
NHMA Offices, 25 Triangle Park Drive, Concord, NH 03301
Cost: $40.00 per attendee/ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY!
The municipal attorney is a valuable part of any municipal governance team and, when used effectively, can ensure the city or town carries out its responsibilities and lawfully achieve its goals while at the same time protect the municipality and its officials and employees from significant liability.
Join Attorney Russ Hilliard of Upton &Hatfield and Concord City Solicitor, James W. Kennedy, who will review professional ethics as applied to the position of municipal attorney. This seminar, though primarily aimed at municipal attorneys, also provides helpful information for other municipal officials and administrators, including:
• Identifying the control group in litigation – who can opposing counsel speak to in the municipality during litigation and not be in violation of Rule 4.2;
• Texting, as it relates to spoliation of evidence and Rule 3.4;
• Who is the client, relative to when a municipal entity creates a committee with another separate and distinct entity;
• When a zoning board makes a decision and the administration does not agree – how to proceed;
• When an elected official violates an ethics standard, what are the options to investigate;
• Conflict issues when municipalities change law firms; and
• Conflict issues created when a lawyer’s action for one client materially limits the lawyer’s effectiveness in representing another client in a different case.
CLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for NH Minimum CLE requirements. NHMLA believes this course meets the requirements of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for 120 minutes toward the annual NHMCLE requirement. Actual attendance minutes must be determined and reported by attendees. Breaks do not qualify as attendance.
New Hampshire attendees must self-determine whether a program is eligible for credit, and self-report their attendance.
Registration includes materials delivered electronically – no hard copies of materials will be provided.